Re: Alioth: the future of mailing lists

On  Mo 18 Sep 2017 13:34:49 CEST, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 09:22:34AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 01:57:31AM +0100, peter green wrote:
> Just because a team isn't big or established doesn't mean they don't need a place to discuss issues relating to their activities, some of which do not relate to any one particular package. Contributers should be able to self-organise within the project and for many dds email is their primary means of communication. Sure you can just cc everyone involved but then there is no archive and no way for new contributers to jump in.

agreed.

> I find the current proposal to drop alioth mailing lists without a real replacement to be a major step backwards.

fully agreed.

However, I also fully understand and support the decision of those who want to
maintain git.debian.org (or whatever the DNS name will be) in future, that
they don't want to migrate+run lists.alioth.debian.org as well.

So given all that, I would also applaud other people who want to keep
lists.alioth.d.o running. (As one third of all binary packages in main
currently use such an address in the maintainers or uploaders field… (*))

I am willing to step up to help keep lists.alioth.debian.org running
as a standalone service using mailman. It seems like it is yet to be
resolved whether this is a long-term strategic option, but this
thread demonstrates the many practical reason that we should aim to
maintain it beyond February 2018. Maintaining the current service
separated out from Alioth would, it appears, reduce the impact on the
project of the alioth switch-off considerably. The main requirements/
issues seem to be:

- retaining archives (ideally with consistent URLs)
- retaining the email addresses in many maintainer fields
- short-term uncertainty about replacements for certain use cases

I have managed mailman installations for some time so I'm fairly familiar
with how it works, and have some time from November onwards to work on
this which I hope would be enough time to develop and implement a migration
plan. I'm CCing the alioth and DSA teams so they are aware of this.

I also volunteer to keep lists.alioth.debian.org up and running with full spectrum of the mailing list functionality part. Dozens of years of experience running Mailman here, too. /me just subscribed to the alioth-staff-replacement [1] ML.

The mailing list service on Alioth is the basis of 80% (or so) of my communication / packaging worflow. Dropping the mailing lists is a no-go for most of the packaging teams, I am involved in, I feel.

I just looked at moszumanska specs: 2TB disk storage, 32GB RAM, 6 cores. I am willing to contribute Resources for running such a Mailman system (e.g. a VM virtualized on top of root-Server at Hetzner or such). But I think that a service like Alioth Mailman should run on Debian costs. So, indeed the question is, why DSA cannot provide a VM or physical machine to a group of DDs and trust this group regarding the server maintenance?

Greets,
Mike