Re: Computing resources for DHG work

Hello,

I received an offer of some computing power off-list.  Thank you for
your reply, regardless.  For posterity I'll answer your questions:

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 02:14:40PM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Is this a single-core endeavour, or would would you benefit from
> multiple cores?

GHC can build in parallel, so yes, it would be beneficial.

> What are the disk space and memory requirements?

The disc space required would be the total of:

- all the source packages & orig tarballs that have the haskell group
  specified as the Maintainer:
- plus all the binary packages built from those
- plus a base sid debootstrap chroot (around 1.6GB)

I don't know how to find out the total size of those source and binary
packages in advance of downloading all the tarballs and building them
all (the DHG repo contains only the debian/ subdir); I would be grateful
if someone pointed me at a way of extracting that information from the
archive.

I seem to be able to build everything (slowly) in my laptop's 2GB of
memory, and I might be able to get away with 1GB; I'm not sure.
However, if I had more I could put sbuild in tmpfs for a huge speed
boost.

--
Sean Whitton