Re: Fingerprint-GUI?

* Andrew Shadura <andrew@shadura.me> [160507 17:27]:
> Fingerprint readers are insecure, and that's something that can't be
> fixed. I'd prefer to see fewer fingerprint-related software packages
> in Debian rather than more.

I cringe when I see blanket statements like this from security
advocates.  Instead of saying "get rid of fingerprint readers", your
efforts would be more beneficial if they were directed towards education
of both the downsides of a particular technology and how to determine if
the security problems associated with it outweigh the benefits.

Your statement is analogous to saying that deadbolts are not going to
stop an experienced burglar who has cased your house, so all hardware
stores should stop selling deadbolts and only sell bank-vault-style door
locks.

I know of at least one fast food chain that uses fingerprint readers to
allow their employees to clock in and out.  Can an employee take
advantage of the insecurity of fingerprint readers to get a coworker to
clock him in early?  Probably.  If he does it regularly, will he get
caught?  Probably.  Do the risks to the fast food chain outweigh the
convenience of the technology?  I seriously doubt it.

I would like to see security advocates espousing use-case-based
security, rather than just saying "it isn't secure, so don't use it."

...Marvin