Re: Update Debian policy for Multi-Arch

On Tue, 03 May 2016 at 11:23:40 +0200, Francois Gouget wrote:
> A large number of packages, particularly development packages, are not
> multi-arch aware.
>    3.10 Multi-arch support
>
>    Packages must be multi-arch aware and architecture-specific
>    development packages must be tagged as Multi-Arch: same.

See <https://wiki.debian.org/PolicyChangesProcess> if you want to push
this forward.

However, I suspect the Policy editors will object that Policy normally
documents what is already broadly true, not what someone wants to be true
(even if the desired state is widely agreed to be what the project wants).

A mass-bug-filing or mass-patch-attaching to make libraries and development
packages Multi-arch: same would be more in line with how things like this
usually go.

Note that for the subset of development packages that contain
architecture-specific binaries in $PATH (most commonly "foo-config"), it is
not trivial to switch to Multi-arch: same without breaking existing
reverse-dependencies.