Re: Putting default config files in /usr [was; (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.]

* Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr>, 2015-11-11, 01:03:
I think you can try to do it systemd way: keep the default configuration in /usr/lib, and leave /etc for local user configuration which overrides the default config.

Not sure how good is this idea, I hope others can comment on this.

For myself, I find this a very bad behavior:

ACK.

- etckeeper cannot track the evolution of the config files
- if I 'modify' a file by putting another one in /etc that overrides the default one in /usr, when the default will change I won't be notified - when I want to look at the config of the software, I've to "merge" two files or even two directories (one in /etc and one in /usr)

Also, how I am supposed to know that I can customize /etc/foobar.conf if /etc/foobar.conf doesn't even exist?

--
Jakub Wilk