Re: Experimental ddeb support in debhelper and lintian (Was: Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?)

On Monday 20 April 2015 12:46 PM, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> That can be very quickly quite a set of packages. apt ~23, apititude
> ~40, mpv (similar to mplayer) ~159, kate (KDEs "notepad") ~465. [0]
> That can be tuned by excluding non-libraries, but that has its own
> drawbacks (private libraries shared between a very closely related set
> of packages for example), aka:
>
> For a quickshot direct dependencies are probably enough (personal
> observation; the times I needed debug symbols for non-direct
> dependencies are far and in between, but maybe I am just lucky).
> If you wanna go fullcircle, its probably better to analyse a core-dump
> for which symbols are needed exactly instead of getting everything.
>
> I think Ubuntu has a tool dubbed apport-retrace (Debian has it in
> experimental only) which is supposed to do that (but I just remember
> hearing the name in this context, nothing more)

Just FYI. Apport is included in this year's GSoC, for Debian. There are
a bunch of Debian specific features we'd like to see. Once those are
done, we should be in a better position to propose apport for
testing/unstable.

And apport will be one of the prime consumers of these debug symbols. So
thank you for reviving on this subject.