dh_strip failing on cross-compilation

I'm trying to build packages for multiple architectures. The package builds fine on the native system (amd64), but when I issue "debuild -ai386", I'm eventually greeted with an error stating that "dh_strip: i686-linux-gnu-strip" doesn't exist.

Google reveals that several people have flagged this as a bug, but (barring the obvious solution of building on an i386 machine in VirtualBox) I wasn't able to find a solution.

What should I do to build for multiple architectures?

--
Ole Wolf
Rødhættevej 4 * 9400 Nørresundby