Re: Automatically installing hardware specific packages

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 21:33:52 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> The idea I got was to add headers like this to the package supporting
> specific hardware, and use this information to look up the USB and PCI
> ids present in the machine:
>
>   Xb-Hardware-Bus-PCI: 1af4:1002
>   Xb-Hardware-Bus-USB: 1d6b:0001
>
> This way the build system for the X video card packages could extract
> the list of PCI devices supported by the driver and include it in the
> control file of the package

We did something like that in lenny (not in the Packages file, but same
basic idea), to get X to choose the right driver.  It turns out it's a
pain to maintain, and doesn't really work all that well.  We should just
install xserver-xorg-video-all.

Maybe for other cases it's different, I don't know.

Cheers,
Julien