Re: localisation in system wide daemons

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 07:16:12AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > I do not like to see Debian doing the same thing...
>

> You mean doing what's needed to be by default accessible to people who
> don't speak English if they did choose to install in another language
> than English?
>
> Could you explain us your perception of the harm caused by this?

There are a number of log message parsers that work based on regular
expressions for the entries in these log files. These will stop working
properly, for no immediately ascertainable reason. Providing localized
regular expressions would not only be the worst possible workaround; it
would also be the only one I can come up with.

While I agree that efforts to translate the system at all levels are
laudable, I'm not sure it's a good thing to break useful software for
the sake of said translation efforts. And yes, log file parsers are
useful programs, not just on servers, and even if you do want the rest
of your system to appear localized.

At the very least, if we're going to translate log messages, then there
should be an easy switch to disable such translation for log messages
alone (while not for the rest of the system).

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22