Re: [RFC] GNU autoconf and dpkg-architecture

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:59:08PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > Then we can fix dpkg-architecture, and get over it.
>
> And then I can see if I can purge config.sub and config.guess from Debian,
> or something equally satisfying :)

You won't be able to purge config.sub unless you plan to patch all the
configure scripts to stop invoking it.  I suppose, though, you could purge
it from autotools-dev, if it pleased you.

> > I am not so sure about specifying --build and --host unconditionally, but
> > you gave good arguments and I am not aware of a situation were it would
> > reasonably fail.

One thing that "configure" does differently when you specify --host=foo
is that it will use "foo-gcc" in preference to "gcc", and similar with
other build tools.  Presumably no-one has a compiler named "foo-gcc",
but you never know.  There could be nasty surprises in store.

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,