Re: netscape should be under non-free

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Bill Mitchell wrote:

> I'd like to see the restriction keeping freely distributable (and
> trusted, of course) binary-only packages out of the main distribution
> lifted entirely.
>
> I understand and appreciate that we very much prefer freely distributable
> source.  However, I see that as an advocacy issue which should be
> separated from the practical goal of offering the best and most useful
> linux distribution we can to Debian users.

Well, in contrib the program s are still available, I believe the issue
was that in contrib, we're saying 'we don't can't make the source freely
available so you can't check it for trojan horses or viri' (or the other
reason for contrib - ALPHA/BETA software like wine/dosemu). But I do see
your point (personally I'd just like to see some sort of resolution so I
don't have to move abuse back and forth).

-- Run.exe
runexe@ntplx.net http://www.ntplx.net/~runexe/ Finger me for PGP key
Nine megs for the secretaries fair,    | One disk to rule them all,
Seven megs for the hackers scarce,     | One disk to bind them,
Five megs for the grads in smoky lairs,| One disk to hold the files
Three megs for system source;          | And in the darkness grind 'em.
Hi! I'm a .signature virus!  Add me to your .signature and join in the fun!