Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 10:38:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com>
To: linux-alpha@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Red Hat Alpha Packages
Sender: owner-linux-alpha@vger.rutgers.edu

As some of you may have guessed, Red Hat (well me, but I'm a part of Red
Hat!) is actively working on an Alpha distribution. I've built 55 packages
so far as part of this effort, and they are now available for ftp.

The primary site for them is ftp.redhat.com:/pub/axp, but that machine
has a 28.8 link to the net. Luckily we have lots of mirrors, and I've
placed a list of them at the end of this note.

All of these are packaged with RPM. RPM requires perl5, which I've made
available as an RPM. Of course, this is a chicken and egg problem. To
help alleviate this, I've placed "perl5.cpio.gz" in the the rpm directory.
Luckily, cpio builds easily.

There are a couple of interesting things about RPM:

1) the source RPM's (SRPM) build on both i386 and axp architechtures. This
   is true of everything except mkbb
2) to rebuild an RPM from source, the command "rpm --rebuild -v file.src.rpm"
   will rebuild and repackage everything. this provides a nice regression
   test as well as simple upgrading to new libc versions

More information on all of this is available at http://www.redhat.com for
the interested.

Lot's of stuff in these packages in known (to me) to be broken, but please
tell me everything you find anyway. Also note that there are not enough
RPM's to install a system (libc and binutils are still missing), but I'm
working on it!

Erik

---- mirrors of ftp.redhat.com

    FTP Site		Directory
    ========                =========
    ftp.pht.com		/pub/linux/redhat
    sunsite.unc.edu         /pub/Linux/distributions/redhat
    sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk    /packages/linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/distributions/redhat/redhat-2.0
    ftp.cms.uncwil.edu	/linux/redhat
    ftp.wilmington.net	/linux/redhat
    ftp.caldera.com         /pub/mirrors/redhat
    ftp.lasermoon.co.uk     /pub/distributions/RedHat
    ftp.cc.gatech.edu       /pub/linux/distributions/redhat
    uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu  /pub/systems/linux/distributions/redhat
    ftp.ibp.fr              /pub/linux/distributions/redhat
    ftp.gwdg.de             /pub/linux/install/redhat
    ftp.uoknor.edu		/linux/redhat
    ftp.msu.ru              /pub/Linux/RedHat
    linux.ucs.indiana.edu   /pub/linux/redhat
    ftp.cvut.cz             /pub/linux/redhat
    ftp.ton.tut.fi          /pub/Linux/RedHat

 "Eggheads unite!  You have nothing to lose but your yolks" - Adlai Stevenson

    Erik Troan   =   http://sunsite.unc.edu/ewt/   =   ewt@sunsite.unc.edu