Re: [RFS] nettoe: New release.

fredag den 28 juni 2013 klockan 21:44 skrev Markus Koschany detta:
> Hi Mats,
>
> i hope you were not scared away by some comments here on the list.
> Obviously Dmitry didn't know Jester. :)

I could not care less what thoughts Smirnov cares to express.
He should clearly study the two volymes "Winning Ways" by
Berlekamp, Conway, and Guy.

Myself, I hold a doctorate in Fourier analysis and to me
Nettoe is a kind of educational puzzle, in the vein of Polya's
"How to solve it", giving young people a possibility to train
their mind and abilities to perform analysis. The game of
Tic-Tac-Toe is theoretically simple, since the first player
always has a winning strategy, but it is the mental process
of finding that strategy, and proving it in battle, which is
the valuable merit of Tic-Tac-Toe. (As a programmer I earn
my wings in GNU Inetutils! Nettoe is a portability matter.)

> Are you subscribed to the list? What do you think about my suggestion to
> add a desktop icon and to improve the desktop file?
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2013/05/msg00037.html
>
> Adding the new release to the sponsors queue might increase your chances
> to find a sponsor (well, a little) :)
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Sponsors/Queue

No, I am not subscribed. The desktop file works fine for me
with Openbox and Debian unstable. Since I never use KDE and
Gnome otherwise, but rather wmii and dwm, I cannot tell in
general.

A quick experiment on OpenSolaris and Gnome2, show that

   /usr/share/applications/nettoe.desktop

is the correct location there, but there I had to write

   Exec=xterm /usr/local/bin/nettoe

Explicitly invoking Xterm. This is clearly implicitly
taken care of in Debian.

Also I had the idea of using the crossed over vowel O as the
optimal icon. It might be worth a try to extract an icon from
that image, though.

Best regards,
  Mats Erik Andersson