Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

Am 22.06.2012 um 08:29 schrieb Yves-Alexis Perez:

> On ven., 2012-06-22 at 05:27 +0200, Ulrich Hansen wrote:
>>> As much as I hate that it has to be done like this, there's no other
>> realistic option atm, IMHO. And maybe there's a lesson learned, and we
>> try to be more proactive next cycle.
>>
>> That's what has been said last cycle.
>
> And debian-desktop wasn't able to organize a vote. Nobody stepped-in
> when I stepped-out

That's not exactly right. It was the DPL, Stefano Zacchiroli, who organized the call for Wheezy artwork and proposed to step into the role.

Stefano wrote in his mail to this list from 09.01.2012
> I'm no regular contributor of -desktop but, if no one else is stepping
> up to do that, I'm willing to help. At the same time, I don't want to
> step on anybody's toes, so if someone else would like to do that, please
> say so. I'll be more than happy to step aside :-)

Like Franz just wrote in another mail, I did not expect that the contributors of the artworks are are allowed (or supposed) to have influence in the voting process of their own proposals. To me the "artwork contest" looked like an official invitation to artists by Debian (1), made public by the media, organized by the DPL, and so I thought, there is somebody behind it.

This mail from 27.02. looked to me as if there now were people organizing this kind of thing.

> We're still on the gathering part. We
> haven't yet decided how to do that, but I *guess* it'll either be a vote
> among the people active on -desktop activities, or a public poll among
> users interested into this.

And this mail from Jan, 24, when Stefano answered suggestions for the voting process:

>> 3. We set a time slot/stage for submissions. Preferably a submission stage
>> where it's open to everyone and we take a vote, the selected concepts move
>> to the second stage and then a vote again, and finally to the final stage
>> where the concepts can be molded and re-touched before it is ready to be
>> released.
>
> I believe that multiple votes will just disperse the interest of our
> users in let us know what they prefer. But if the submitters are willing
> to rework their proposals once they've been voted (which is probably the
> case anyhow), then it's not a big deal to vote only on "partial"
> submissions.

That really _sounded_ as if there would be a vote.

I don't want to blame anyone. I am really willing to do what it takes if this is still acceptable.

 I just think it's unfair to suddenly say it's the artists fault that there is no time for a poll.

> And I agree with
> Paul, at one point it's just too late.

"There is no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts have been on display in your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years. It's far too late to start making a fuss about it now."

;-)

Just my first thought, sorry, just joking, no offense...
I am bit undecided what I should feel about the whole thing.

> So indeed, the process might not have been perfect. Or, better said, you
> (a general “you”) might (like me) disagree with how the process was
> done. But then you're the only one to blame, because you should have
> stepped in before to organize the process.

Already answered that.

Best wishes.

(1) http://www.debian.org/News/2012/20120213.en.html