Older headers packages

Hello,

We ran into an issue where the linux-headers package corresponding to
the installed cloud kernel couldn't be installed if apt update had
been run. Another user asked about this on an Ubuntu forum (off topic
there because it's a Debian question).

Updating to a newer kernel would work, but requires a reboot. Not
running apt update first also works, but it's impossible to prevent
some other startup script from running that.

I wondered if this is intentional, and if so for what reasons. It
seems not good to remove packages from the repository metadata,
especially where a package can need to be correlated to a package that
was installed earlier, like linux-headers.

Is it possible for the repository metadata to have both the new
linux-headers package and any older ones?

Kind regards,
Andrew Jorgensen