Re: Use of debconf in cloud-init

Le Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 01:36:53PM +0100, Bastian Blank a écrit :

> Currently our cloud-init package carries one debconf question to select
> data sources.  This may be handy for people who install cloud-init by
> hand (are there any)?  However most image generators override this
> settings themselfs anyway to a more appropriate value.
> Does anyone know a use for this?  Or could we just drop it and expect
> users who really want to install it by hand to configure cloud-init to
> their needs?

Hi Bastian and everybody,

first, many thanks for taking over the maintenance of cloud-init.

Regarding the debconf question, I was also dubious about its relevance.  The
only reason why I kept it is that I wanted to stay as close as possible to the
Ubuntu package.  However, it costs a lot of extra work because it is
translated, and because there are two sources for the translations (the Debian
translators, and the Ubuntu pacakge).  If you are willing to diverge, then I
think that it can be removed (keeping of course the silent debconf templates
for preseeding).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles