Re: question md5sum

Hi,

It could take 5 minutes or more to run the md5sum command depending
on your system. How much memory do you have? I check md5 checksums
quite often and I find that it can take a long time if you only have
say 256MB of RAM. Even 512MB on a DVD ISO can take quite a few
minutes. Are you downloading an ISO for a cd or a dvd? The DVD could
take 10 minutes or more if you only have 256MB. Also do you have a
newer CPU or older? While I find the total ammount of memory helps
much more an old CPU will slow things down also.

I have an AMD Barton 2500 CPU with 1GB or ram and it'll check 700MB
ISOs in as little as 30 seconds, DVD a few minutes. When it only had
512MB ram it took 5 to 6 times longer.

My suggestion is to run 'md5sum -b debian-file-image.iso' and just
let it run.

Good luck