Re: Any chance to get Debian-Med added to tasksel? (fwd)

Andreas Tille wrote:
> while Randolph is listed as maintainer of tasksel I've noticed that
> all uploads since 1.18 were done by Joey Hess and thus I write to both
> of you.  Many users of Debian-Med asked me, when Debian-Med will be
> included in Debian and one very visible step would be that it is
> listed in tasksel.  Because #186085 has no comment in the BTS that it
> can't / shouldn't be included I assume that it just not really reached
> your notice because it is just wishlist bug.  So I would really like
> to lead your notice to this topic to meet the Sarge release right in
> time.

I have been holding off on doing anything on this bug because I am not
sure how tasksel should relate to debian sub distributions. We added
debian jr a while back, but it has a wider possible user base than many
sub distributions, and it makes sense you may want it on a machine that
is also used for other tasks. It was also the first sub distro, and so a
special case at the time, not something I can generalize into a
general policy for tasksel.

I've thought about adding a new category to tasksel for sub
distributions, but it's not clear what it should be called ("sub
distributions" (or the alternate new term introduced at debconf that I
forget) may not be particularly obvious to the user).

There is also the concern that what's in tasksel's tasks can impact what
goes onto the first CD, although it doesn't have to, and I don't always
keep this at the top of my mind when adding new stuff to tasksel tasks.
Debian-Med encompasses 90+ mb of debs, so I have to consider this.

Might it not be better if for subdistributions we generated customized
install cds for those distribututions? These could have everything
needed for that specific purpose on the one cd, and would automatically
install it. These CDs could be blessed by the debian project and created
with the debian-cd package like our regular cds.

--
see shy jo