Re: making cd's with only a subset of the packages?

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Mourad De Clerck wrote:

> I'm using a small selection of debian packages on a number of boxes. To
> avoid using big cd's, and also to avoid having to make the selections
> over and over again, i'd like to create a small cd-image, with only a
> limited number of packages from unstable, and some locally created
> packages (like a custom kernel package).
>
> I'd also like it to automatically install those selections when the
> installation nears completion - at the point where the installer asks if
> my apt sources are ok, and if he should start dselect. I'd like it if he
> would immediately start installing the selections i want.
>
> My question is: what are the steps involved in making a cd like that?
> Can i use the debian-cd package for that (it seems it's more geared at
> making full distro cd's)?
>
> As far as i can tell i need a local archive (i used apt-move to create one)
>
> I guess for altering the initial install i'd have to alter the base
> system. Is there an elegant way to import those initial selections?

I think it would be easiest to create a custom task-<something> package, which
can be installed easily by choosing the "simple" install method and then
selecting only that specific task.

IIRC debian-cd can make a CD with only your packages if you set COMPLETE=0 and
only have your task-package mentioned in tasks/Debian_woody.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer