Re: Problem with smpeg after converting to dh-autoreconf

> Hi,
>
> On 10/08/14 02:05, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
>> (Is this list OK for this kind of questions?  If not, please let me
>> know the appropriate place).
>
> Yes, thanks for asking here.
>
>> I converted this package to use dh-autoreconf, having converted a few
>> without any trouble, but this one now does not compile in kfreebsd-*
>> (it does on all main Linux arches, and Hurd as well).
>
> A few problems here:
>> checking dynamic linker characteristics... no
>> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
>> checking whether to build shared libraries... no
>
> I traced this to ltconfig, which has some hard-coded tests for $host_os
> types;  it does know about gnu* (which is Hurd) but not kfreebsd-gnu.
> Please see attached patch, with that it builds fine.
>
> (There may be some better way to fix this -- getting a more recent copy
> of ltconfig from somewhere -- but I don't know about that).

Thank you very much for the investigation and quick fix.  I applied it
and built it in the porterbox and seems to work fine, even played a
sample video remotely with caca.  Also compiled it locally and
uploaded it already.

I tried to fix it in other ways, forcing to run libtoolize, failing to
fix it and trying to copy the file from elsewhere, but there's no
canonical ltconfig apparently.  After ~2h trying again today, I gave
up and applied your fix, I already spent many hours yesterday with a
similar problem forcing the binaries to use rpath.

I hope to upload a version of smpeg2 (depending on libsdl2) soon, and
hopefully get rid of this 10+ year old one, so I don't want to spend
lots of time with the package.

It is a bit sad that all of these tools that are supposed to be
helping with portability are so difficult to learn, inescrutable,
inconvenient, badly-designed or whatever the reason that they are
actually a big problem for portability (or at the very least, big time
wasters), be in this case of kfreebsd or the new linux ports (almost
~1k dh-autoreconf bugs so far).

Thanks again!

Cheers.
--