Re: svn commit: r234684 - head/lib/libusb

Hi Hans,

2012/4/28 Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>:
>> Can you be more specific about this?  We've got around 80 packages
>> that are linking with this library.  If it's really broken, we
>> probably need to change the build dependencies and rebuild every of
>> them.
>
> Are these packages built with libusb header files from the FreeBSD USB library
> or the libusb.org library? If the libusb.org header files are used, then
> updating the FreeBSD USB library will fix some issues. Else not.

I think you missunderstand what we're doing.  I'll try to explain, but
please note that I don't claim what we do is correct, in fact I have
no clue about it!  I'm merely describing:

Debian GNU/kFreeBSD provides two USB libraries, libusb-0.1-4 and libusb2debian.

libusb-0.1-4 is the library for libusb.org (currently version 0.1.12).
It includes a patch (06_bsd.diff, attached) which was added in Jan
2010. Aurelien wrote this in changelog file: "Add
debian/patches/06_bsd.diff to fix build with kFreeBSD headers 8.0.".

libusb2debian is the library from FreeBSD. The "debian" suffix does
*not* indicate that we diverged from FreeBSD ABI. It is ABI compatible
with the one from FreeBSD (except for the fact that it's linked againt
GNU libc, of course).

Packages can be linked with libusb-0.1-4 or with libusb2debian,
depending on the setting in their debian/control file.

It is unclear to me why we're providing both libraries at the same
time.  libusb2debian must have been added because there's some
limitation in libusb-0.1-4, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered to
provide another library, but I don't know which is that limitation.

If the problem with libusb-0.1-4 is so severe that it's completely
unusable on GNU/kFreeBSD, then we should look into rebuilding
everything with libusb2debian.

ABI compatibility with libusb-0.1-4 is helpful because it makes
transitions easier, but it doesn't resolve this kind of problem (if
there is one).

--
Robert Millan