Re: GEOM userland tools?

Hi

On Tuesday 02 November 2010 01:25:39 James R. Van Artsdalen wrote:
> Carsten Aulbert wrote:
> > Is there a userland package for gpt or glabel available? With apt-cache I
> > haven't fond anything, nor was my (brief) google search very productive.
> > Trying to get ZFS working on this system with ~45 disks will drive me
> > nuts if I only have even numbered ad devices.
>
> It isn't necessary to partition a disk if the entire disk is to be used
> as a ZFS pool device: just do "zpool create pool raidz2
> ad{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}{0,2,4,6,8}" or whatever.

True, partitioning I only needed for ad52 to boot from

> (in the real world you'd usually break up a 45 drive pool into five or
> six raidz vdevs, not one as I show here, though it depends on your goals
> and system topology)

I've done that once and the performance was terrible. I want to add a couple
of SSD as read/write caches and possibly stripe the raidz(2) across the six
marvell controller inside this box.

so far, it's just a preliminary test to get "rid off" Solaris 10, but well,
we'll see - and if it works, we have to see how to install these boxes
automatically with FAI which will be another big job...

Cheers and thanks for all the hints!
Carsten