Re: Problems with init

"Joel Baker" <lucifer@lightbearer.com> writes:
> Is there some reason that we can't, at least for the moment, just hack
> around init such that the scripts it *calls* call into /etc/rc<x>.d (and
> thus, to /etc/init.d)? Simulating SysV init scripts shouldn't be that
> difficult; while I have been told that some inits (notably FreeBSD's) don't
> support all of the runlevels, this could be fixed much more easily, either
> upstream or locally, than trying to port over glibc...

NetBSD has an rc system that was designed by Luke Mewburn based on
some ideas of mine (and a program I wrote called rcorder). Rather than
having the files in the rc?.d directories run in a lexically defined
order, they run in a dynamically computed order based on
dependencies. This works a lot more nicely and is pretty logical. We
switched to the system a while ago.

FreeBSD is now (I understand) adopting our system.

I strongly suggest studying it before throwing it out. Simulating SysV
init script behavior is pretty trivial in our system, except for the
fact that we don't have run levels. We decided that in practice people
don't actually need or use run levels although they very often claim
to want them.

Perry

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com