Re: libc strategy

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 01:14:08AM -0500, GT wrote:

> Actually, after your previous comment the one I wanted to try was
> getopt (the command line version).  It actually compiles, but issues a
> warning that "getopt_long_only" was defined implicitly (uh oh), and of
> course when it tries to link it fails.

FreeBSD includes a port of the GNU getopt library, so even if NetBSD
doesn't it ought to be possible to convert and package without too much
trouble. I'm guessing that it's going to have to go in base judging by how
much else in there uses it.

> Everything in text-utils compiles fine, and seems to work although I
> didn't really test it too much.  I'm going to bed now, before I do
> something really stupid.  [For the record, fdisk doesn't compile, so
> I didn't get the chance to run it... :)]

The FreeBSD machine fell over and died several times during my attempts to
produce a working Perl package, so I'm going to tear it down later on,
replace the fan and install NetBSD before attempting to get back to the
same state that I'd got to so far. I haven't any great experience with the
Linux emulation in the BSDs - is it sufficiently good that things like
Linux ifconfig and fdisk will work? If not, I don't see any real advantage
in using it to get base transferred across though it would save us having
to recompile everything else to start with.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org