Re: Re: OT Re: Advantage of debs?

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 06:21:44PM -0500, dan wrote:
> Sure it is useful: you can extract a description, packing list, etc. without
> decompressing the entire archive.  Another example is for making multi-platform
> packages (For CDs only, of course) and not having to extract every file.
> They aren't free software? Info-ZIP afaik is DFSG (I think thats it, its
> been awhile since I was a debian user ;) ) compliant.. Nobody seems to care
> about the license anymore.

No, infozip isn't DFSG; you're not allowed to sell it for profit.

We do multiplatform by having a separate .deb file for each platform;
I don't see an advantage in combining them because each platform is now
downloading much bigger files than necessary.

Anyway, no need to argue -- if it were Debian thinking about it, I'd
get upset, but that's never going to happen anyway.

Hamish