Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 11:08:47AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 03:53:00PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 04:43:47PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> > What's the plan for upgraded systems with an existing /etc/apt/sources.list.
>> > Will the new n-f-f section added on upgrades automatically(if non-free was
>> > enabled before)?
>>
>> So this is the one bit that I don't think we currently have a good
>> answer for. We've never had a specific script to run on upgrades (like
>> Ubuntu do), so this kind of potentially breaking change doesn't really
>> have an obvious place to be fixed.
>
>Is there a reason to not continue to make the packages available in non-free?
>I don't see a reason to force any change on existing systems.

Two things:

 1. I'm worried what bugs we might expose by having packages be in two
    components at once.
 2. I really don't like the idea of leaving two different
    configurations in the wild; it'll confuse people and is more
    likely to cause issues in the future IMHO.

Plus, as Shengjing Zhu points out: we already expect people to manage
the sources.list anyway on upgrades.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...