Re: moving graphical installer to GTK 3

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 08:54:29AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 5/20/21 12:54 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > Even if was decided to recommend that new users use live media for
> > installations, the flexibility of d-i is massively powerful, and we
> > shouldn't give up on it. The ability to support everything from a
> > serial terminal up to a graphical installer on the same media is
> > lovely.
>
> Yes, debian-installer is a fantastic piece of software and the right installer
> for a distribution that can be installed on everything, from a toaster to an
> IBM zSeries mainframe. And it's fun hacking the codebase.
>
> We can still use Calamares for the live-medium to suit non-expert users.
>
> Adrian

A working text mode installer is the safest way to install the largest number
of systems but it does look complicated to many people and somewhat dated to
others. It works, though, and text mode installs on other Linux variants
are similar..

A working GTK version tied into d-i is the next best: when things get tough
or configurations are fairly non-standard, there's always the expert mode
to help debug.

IMHO, Calamares and live-install media are not currently supportable given the
level of developer effort and the method of live-building currently used. If
we _really_ want to put effort into live install media we'll need more devs
doing it and a consistent level of support that we haven't at the minute -
see discussions on -devel referenced earlier, I think.

All best,

Andy Cater