Re: 2.2.11 -- to wait for i386, or not to wait

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 01:17:37AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> <drow> basically ppc is ready.
> <drow> i don't care if modconf is broken still at this point; powerpc
>        can get away without it usually.
> <drow> But .11 will be a MASSIVE ppc fix (see debian/changelog)
>
> In that case, I encourage you to undergo the release process:
>
>   - put your name on the changelog

Done.

>   - tag the sources

Done.

>   - build it clean with source

Redoing one last time after trivial changes to release.sh (before
tagging).

>   - sanity test the resulting images

Did.  No problems with boot-floppies; some minor annoyances in
base-config and tasksel that I'll look in to.  Also five modules with
unresolved symbols on powerpc but that's about par for the course on
this arch :)

>   - dupload it to master/Incoming as you would any package

I will do in two hours when it's built.

> I say this, even if we *NOT* build the tagged 2.2.11 code base for
> i386 due to critical i386 problems which must be fixed (modconf, lilo,
> kernel/modules).
>
> I do *not* want to hold up porters as they wait for all arches to be
> in sync.  That's crazy.  I rather you just took version 2.2.11 and if
> we just need a few minor changes for a nice i386 version, than we just
> make a 2.2.12.  Numbers aren't scarce.  We just would need to be
> careful that no one uploads broken boot-floppies.
>
> So please go ahead.  I ask that you follow release policies as defined
> above and announce to this list when you have tagged and when you plan
> to make the upload.

Tagged and building!  Modconf also seems to be fixed, thanks to
Randolph; what about kernels?  Are we also go for i386?  And I believe
Ben said Sparc was ready...

Dan