Re: lxc/wheezy-backports: FTBFS on ia64

Hi Vincent,

On 05/18/2015 10:55 PM, Vincent Cheng wrote:
>> Note that the older LXC version that comes with Wheezy already FTBFS on
>> ia64, so no package was ever uploaded to the archive for that
>> architecture (even though the package is Architecture: linux-any).
>
> The buildd logs for lxc on wheezy [1] suggests the very opposite,
> actually. We are looking at the same page, right? :)

As I said, it's a bit misleading: the page you're linking says it's
'Installed' on every arch of Wheezy, even kfreebsd ones. But LXC
(_Linux_ containers) definitely don't work on kfreebsd, so this can't be
right. If you then actually click on the link "all (1)" (under "Logs")
for different architectures, you will see the following:

 - amd64: "no log", because it was a binary upload with amd64
 - kfreebsd: "no log" because it was never actually built
 - armel, armhf, i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, s390x, sparc:
   Result: "Maybe-Successful" e.g. [2]
 - ia64: Result: "Maybe-Failed" [3]

[2]
https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=lxc&ver=0.8.0~rc1-8%2Bdeb7u2&arch=armel
[3]
https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=lxc&ver=0.8.0~rc1-8%2Bdeb7u2&arch=ia64

Also:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/lxc
 -> no ia64 there

http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lxc/
 -> for version 0.8.0~rc1-8+deb7u2 (current Wheezy) no ia64 deb there

=> lxc on ia64 not part of Jessie (0.7.2-1, i.e. the Squeeze version,
has a deb for that arch, however)

But regardless of all this:

>>  - somehow get access to a ia64 box to test that first (is that
>>    possible? I'm not a DD nor a DM)
>>         - Is there an emulator for ia64 that can run a full Wheezy?
>
> You can request access to Debian ia64 porterboxes [2]. I can sponsor
> your request if you're looking for a sponsor.

Ah, I didn't know that was possible. I'd like to take you up on your
offer then, since I believe the fix is going to be relatively simple (I
just need to test it, in fact). I'm going to send you a separate,
private email regarding this, thanks!

> It's worth pointing out that since lxc is indeed available in wheezy,
> the fact that it FTBFS in wheezy-backports could be considered a
> regression, so I would suggest fixing this if at all possible.

I do agree in general, it's just that Wheezy on ia64 never had a working
LXC as far as I can tell (see beginning of the email). That said, I'm
willing to fix it regardless (just wanted to hear your opinion first).

Best regards,
Christian