Re: [Y2038] debian/armhf time64 build?

On 2022-09-28 09:32 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 3:24 AM Dominique MARTINET
> <dominique.martinet@atmark-techno.com> wrote:
> > Ugh, this is going to be a massive headache...
> > Other distributions I've worked with (e.g. nixos) have a wrapper for gcc
> > and clang that just enforce the flags they want the distro to be built
> > with -- I don't think debian has anything like that, would that be
> > easier to work with? My line of thinking is that there will only be a
> > single place to fix instead of configure/cmake/meson and all hand-made
> > build scripts that exist around here.
>
> Debian has dpkg-buildflags . Discussions about it show up when
> discussing hardening, like [0].
>
> [0] https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening#dpkg-buildflags

Right, and just changing it and rebuilding works very well. I did this
for PAC (pointer authentication) support last year. Very few packages
do not correctly honour dpkg-buildflags.

In fact the only issue was that I unconditionally changed it so it got
issued by some packages (like migw) for the wrong-arch compiler
(because they were cross-building). One should be a bit smarter to
unconditionally set an _arch-specific_ flag.

dpkg-buildflags has functionality for this. See patch at bottom of:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2022/05/msg00022.html

Presumably the 'use 64-bit time_t' flag is the same for all arches,
but may only exist on 32-bit arches?

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM