Re: NextThing C.H.I.P. v1.0 - Debian Stretch Installer from USB

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 07:54:54AM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 07:24:52AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > On 2017-06-21, Pablo Rath wrote:
> > > As this is a rather long message I start with a brief summary:
> > > I try to install Debian Stretch (Stable, armhf) with the Debian Installer on a
> > > NextThing Chip v1.0 Allwinner board. After some initial problems I
> > > managed to complete installation but as far as I understand the kernel
> > > doesn't load the rootfs. I believe I am missing the correct U-Boot
> > > commands. I use a self-compiled mainline U-Boot via sunxi-fel to
> > > circumvent the U-Boot version on NAND provided by the manufacturer.
> > > I am glad for any help to make the board boot Debian Stretch.
> >
> > I tried this a while back, but haven't tried recently as using sunxi-fel
> > is a bit of a cumbersome boot process... and mainline u-boot didn't yet
> > support being loaded from NAND on the CHIP. Haven't tried since u-boot
> > 2016.11+dfsg1-3 in the u-boot-sunxi package in Debian.
> >

> > > Booting U-Boot "automatically" gave me following output:
> > > usb 0:2...
> > > Found U-Boot script /boot.scr
> > > 2458 bytes read in 172 ms (13.7 KiB/s)
> > > ## Executing script at 43100000
> > > Mainline u-boot / new-style environment detected.
> > > 3701296 bytes read in 279 ms (12.7 MiB/s)
> > > 22913 bytes read in 213 ms (104.5 KiB/s)
> > > 16438413 bytes read in 916 ms (17.1 MiB/s)
> > > Booting Debian 4.9.0-3-armmp from usb 0:2...
> > > ## Flattened Device Tree blob at 43000000
> > >    Booting using the fdt blob at 0x43000000
> > >
> > > Starting kernel ...
> > >
> > > [    1.464003] sr_init: platform driver register failed for SR
> > > [    2.036209] sunxi-mmc 1c0f000.mmc: smc 0 err, cmd 8, RTO !!
> > > Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device
> > > Gave up waiting for root file system device.  Common problems:
> > >  - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
> > >    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
> > >  - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
> > > ALERT!  /dev/disk/by-uuid/3b34108b-a873-43c6-be7d-95c091c22335 does not exist.  Dropping to a shell!
> > >
> > > ...and dropped me to an initramfs shell.
> > > The output of "cat /proc/cmdline" is:
> > > console=ttyS0,115200 quiet
> > >
> > > With my limited U-Boot knowledge I have reached a dead end. I think I
> > > have to point U-Boot and the kernel to the rootfs on usb 0:3 - but don't
> > > know the right commands.
> >
> > If it didn't detect the rootfs, it's probably missing the kernel modules
> > needed in the initramfs for the drivers needed to use USB. It may have
> > some of the modules, but be missing things like regulators, so simply
> > specifying other bootargs u-boot prompt is unlikely to resolve the
> > issue...
>
> I have tried to reproduce the problem on an A20-based system and
> indeed the kernel cannot fully initialize the USB host controllers
> with only the modules in the initrd.  It looks like adding the
> axp20x_usb_power module to the initrd will solve this particular
> issue, but this needs some further testing and I probably won't get
> [...]

Your suggestion to add axp20x_usb_power did the trick for Stretch. Today
I upgraded the board to Buster and got literally the same error message.
As far as I can tell from the output of 'cat /proc/modules' axp20x_usb_power module is loaded.
Karsten, do you have any idea what is causing the error? I am rather
clueless what to do next.

kind regards
Pablo