Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

Unless you're going to overclock it (which I'm not sure is possible,
probably) you don't need a heat sink.  It will throttle (reduce speed)
if it gets hot.  A heat sink keeps it from overheating so soon so it
can run at full speed longer.  If you run cpuminer (to mine Litecoin
or Bitcoin) it will overheat a Pi very quickly and slow down, even
without overclocking, because it's so CPU-intensive.  You can run less
threads to run cooler.

What I'd like to see is a massive heat sink that dwarfs the circuit
board and becomes dominant, sort of like with Pentiums, could even
have a fan.  You'd mount the heat sink then bolt the Pi to it,
probably with heat sink compound or a heat-conductive washer.  The
connectors and wires would go wherever they ended up.  There could be
such setups as aftermarket addons.

I don't like that they continue to push the power connector to its
limits instead of going to something else like a coaxial plug like the
Rock64 uses.  I'm not sure it it's still a microusb or not.  But you
can always power through the GPIO connector.

And this uses _micro_ HDMI connectors, as opposed to the Zero which
uses _mini_ or the earlier Pis which have just a regular HDMI.  So if
you have a slew of Pis and Zeros you need 2 adapters for video.

GPIO pinout at https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-92640/l/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-gpio-pinout-with-poe-header?ICID=rpimain-smartpanel-pi4doc
I'm not sure how different it is.  The Pi GPIO has gotten to be a
defacto standard that other manufacturers also use.  I see there are
still multiple 5 volt and ground pins so they can be paralleled for
more current capability.

I welcome the 4 GB of RAM the most, I use 2 swap files and get tired
of waiting for swapping and unswapping.  Hopefully the ethernet is no
longer tied to the USB.

There is a new case and power supply, at least partly for the 2
micro-HDMIs.  A Rock64 fits into a Pi case but the power connector is
different so it needs some filing.  The cases are sort of a nuisance
because the wires dominate everything and are much heavier.