Re: RAID installation (Kirkwood) QNAP TS-420U

On Fri, 2015-07-10 at 22:09 +0200, Peter Nagel wrote:
> Am 09.07.2015 14:38, schrieb Peter Nagel:
> > I'm thinking about to first install wheezy and than dist-upgrade to
> > jessie ...
> > Are there any other (better) solutions?
>
> ... a dist-upgrade from wheezy to jessie does not solve the problem.
>
> The problem might be that jessie comes with a new init system which has
> a stricter handling of failing "auto" mounts during boot. If it fails to
> mount an "auto" mount, systemd will drop to an emergency shell rather
> than continuing the boot - see release-notes (section 5.6.1):
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#systemd-upgrade-default-init-system
[...]
> Nevertheless, it would be nice if the system would boot automatically
> (and e.g. use the spare disk for data synchronization) as it is known to
> happend under wheezy.
>
> Any ideas how to do that?

According to my reading of the release notes that you linked to either
nofail or noauto on the appropriate line in the fstab is supposed to do
just that. Reading further at
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.mount.html I
think nofail is the one you want in your particular case:

        With nofail this mount will be only wanted, not required, by
        local-fs.target or remote-fs.target. This means that the boot
        will continue even if this mount point is not mounted
        successfully.

You might need to regenerate the initramfs and reflash the kernel+initrd
afterwards.

Ian.