Re: Support for the D-Link DNS-320?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:40:35 -0200
Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> allegedly wrote:

> Hi, people.
>
> I just saw a guy selling a D-Link DNS-320 and, according to D-Link
> themselves, these devices run Linux. Looking on the Linux kernel tree
> I see that there is a file called dns323-setup.c (for the 323), but
> there is no mention of the 320.
>
> Of course, if I happen to buy one of these, I would wipe everything
> and install a real debian system.
>
> So, my question is: are there successful reports of people using the
> DNS-320? Some googling seems to indicate so, but I don't know which
> kernel would be appropriate, if everything works correctly etc.
>
> Also, is this a good purchase? I would love to get a NAS device that
> can hold 2 HDs, but I have no brand loyalty and I mostly only care
> about installing Debian on it. If you happen to know other devices
> that would be a better choice, I would love to know.
>
> Thanks in advance for any recommendation,
> Rogério Brito.

Rogério

Be careful - there are differences in the processors used in the DNS
range. A couple of years ago I bought a DNS 313 (mistakenly) when I
really wanted a 323. I was initially not able to install Debian on the
313 in quite the way I wanted, but fortunately I found a site which
helped me out (http://forum.dsmg600.info/) That site also seems to
have advice on the Kirkwood based 320 you are considering.

I wrote about using "Charmainbaer's" Lenny tarball on my 313 at
http://baldric.net/2009/10/03/debian-on-a-dns-313/

Good luck.

Mick
blog: baldric.net
fingerprint: E8D2 8882 F7AE DEB7 B2AA 9407 B9EA 82CC 1092 7423