Re: nvidia and latest unstable kernel image

++++++++ Lennart Sorensen 12:46 Thu 17 Jul      ++++++++
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:53:10PM -0400, C. Ahlstrom wrote:
I update nvidia direct from nvidia.com, and have had no issues.

So far.  You will at some point.  Everyone does eventually.

Well, it's been about two years so far.  I'll be sure to post an account
of this disaster when it happens <grin>.

Same for the kernel -- I always build it from source myself (that way I
can change the configuration).

The kernel has its own location for files so it isn't usually a big
deal, although using make-kpkg (from kernel-package) makes it trivial to
have your own kernel installed using the package system.

   make menuconfig
   make
   make modules_install
   mkinitramfs
   copy files to /boot
   modify grub/menu.lst

THe only part that bugs me is the menuconfig.  I'd really like to make a
kernel that builds /only/ the parts my laptop needs, but I have no idea
what comprises that set!

--
<Deek> Yes, America is a country based on how pissed-off a group of taxed
       people can get.