Re: checking the refresh rates with Hannsg for my HW191 D monitor....

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:22:42AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I recently got my Hannsg HW 191D monitor working at its full resolution of 1440 x 900 driven by my new AMD64 dual core super duper box with an 8600GT nvidia card on it etc that I unboxed last wee.
>
> I am cheating a little bit because I am only using the nv driver in Xorg not the nvidia driver itself.  I have to modify the kernel according to the Debian Nvidia howto and install the nvidia glx drivers etc.
>
> But even as it is it is driving the monitor excellently in terms of the 2-D images it is producing for browser windows and OpenOffice files.
>
> I am delighted with this and am also grateful to Lennart Sorenson for pointing out that I had entered the wrong resolution for this monitor.
>
> I have fixed this.  I am sure it will work OK when I install the true nvidia drivers.
>
> But now I am wondering if I might be harming the monitor by not having the correct horizontal and vertical refresh rate ranges specified in the Xorg file.........
>
> So I sent an email to Hannsg about this and they responded.
>
> They sent me a pdf file with a copy of page 20 of their manual for this monitor.  I got small leaflet not a manual sent with the monitor, although there was a CD in the box with monitor installation stuff in it.
>
> I assumed this would only be for MS Windows users.  But maybe there was a longer manual provided on the CD, but not included with the monitor as a printed document that anyone, including a Linux user might make use of.
>
> I will investigate this.
>
> The pdf file has a table in it with what is referred to as a factory preset timing table.
>
> It contains the following entries:

On any modern monitor you should be able to tell X absolutely nothing
about frequencies.  The DCC info for the monitor that the driver picks
up should be correct and simply work.  If it didn't the monitor would
not work with windows XP and newer.

So really don't worry about it, just tell X the resolution you want (or
possibly don't do that either and it normally should default to the
native resolution of the screen).  These days the less you tell X, the
more likely it is to just work.

--
Len Sorensen