USB devices not being seen

Hi,

    I'm facing a strange problem: sometimes USB devices are not beeing
seen by my linux (2.6.17-2-amd64) system. And when I mean not beeing
seen, I mean that lsusb shows something like this even when the device
is plugged in:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Which is the same output as when there is no USB device. Also, no
messages are printed in the console or shown by dmesg.

    This has happened with a mp3 player and two cell phones (a Motorola
C650 and a Sony-Ericsson K750i), so it's not a problem with the device.
What's strange is that the connection is detected by the devices: the
mp3 player, for example, turns on and displays the usual screen shown
when it's connected to the computer. I've even tried plugging it without
the battery and it still turns on. Also, the K750i, when plugged,
supposedly starts charging (which is the expected behaviour). However,
even though it appears to be charging, when I left it plugged for a long
time I noticed it did not appear to have charged anything.

    Plugging the device in another usb port does make it work, at least
sometimes. But it is not a problem with one specific usb port, sometimes
a port work, sometimes it does not.

    Has anyone seen something like this, or has any idea of what could
be happening? My processor is an Athlon 64 3000+.

--
Mere nonexistence is a feeble excuse for declaring a thing unseeable. You
*can* see dragons.  You just have to look in the right direction.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
ekalin@bol.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb