amd64 debian installation steps

I forgot to ask: chroot 32 after complete installation as below described?

Hi Goswin:
I have seen your two further e-mails. Thank you indeed.

I started with the debian amd64 testing indicated previously (below) with a
plan to install pure 64bit and then a chroot for 32bit. I badly started too
late in the evening.

Hardware is recognized as far as I could see: DHCP configured from connection
to a Zyxel router to which my PC with debian testing 32 is also connected,
mirror (Germany) chosen, and even the 18 years old external  scsi HD is read
(formatted fat32 for backup). This is encouraging because - for example - my
motherboard is given not supported by ubuntu.

However I stopped the installation at the stage of partitioning, in part
because it was not clear to me how to select the size of the partitions
(system, swap, home, and an unformatted space to later perhaps format vfat).
The largest space in the two 300GB HDs is deserved by to /home because the
calculations may need much space during execution, although mpqc is devised
to operate on ram.

Apart that, it was getting too late in the night. To resume tomorrow afternoon
after the teaching duties.

I understand that raid is to configure after having created the partitions.  I
have seen - going back - the grub vs lilo choice. If I understand, to get a
second HD bootable - should the first one fail - I have to select lilo as
boot loader (after having configured raid1 or during that?)

Thanks a lot for your guidance (and exquisite patience).

francesco