Re: contention for /usr/lib64 in libc6 and base-files

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 09:05:24AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> You are recomending using force-overwrite?  That's just icky. :)  I
> thought we got past package problems requiring that kind of brute force
> when potato was in the works.

This was only a temperary solution.  There have been put new
versions online which properly fix it using Replaces and should
not require it.

New installations of dpkg (since 1.10.21) have force-overwrite on
by default in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.conf, which is why this affected
some people and not others.

> Maybe tests for things as important as base-files and libc6 should be
> testing in a clean chroot that doesn't have crazy non standard options
> set that no normal user would have enabled on their system.  But then
> again no one is claiming pure64 is stable or anything, and debian proper
> has done worse than this at times.  Just some of the fun little bumps do
> deal with.

So you test it in a clean chroot which had a newer installation
of dpkg and you didn't see the problem because force-overwrite is
turned on by default.  This was tested long before we even
uploaded it.

Kurt