Though, it still is hard for me to believe it isn't just something that I am doing wrong. I have only a fuzzy idea of how things should look in / and /boot for this to work. I saw a not that indicated that when you have / and /boot on different partition you need to make sure the links in /boot are okay and the links from / to ./boot don't matter. But, apt-get is not creating any links in /boot only from / to /boot. Maybe I should try another disk with a single partition on it and see what happens.

Well, at least its nice to know that it was not just me having problems. I have been trying to get this system to 2.6 for awhile now.

Bill

--On Wednesday, January 25, 2006 06:48:02 PM -0800 Garry Easop <g.easop@comcast.net> wrote:

Perhaps your problem is related to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=330664  ?

I have a  DS20 and can't get it to run SMP either.

Garry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill MacAllister"
<bill.macallister@ncsd.k12.ca.us>
To: <debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:50 PM
Subject: smp problems on AlphaServer 4100

Hello,

I just spent the better part of a night trying to move from my custom
2.4.28 smp kernel to the stock 2.6.8-2-smp kernel on an AlphaServer
4100.  For a long time the problem seemed to be in my aboot.conf entry.
Here is  the relevant lines:

5:1/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-smp     ro root=/dev/sdb3
initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.8-2-smp
6:1/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-generic ro root=/dev/sdb3
initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.8-2-generic

Booting line 5 fails very quickly because it cannot find the initrd
file,  but a  line 6 boot works just fine.  Of course, I did not figure
out that  generic would work until I had been working the problem for
several hours.  During those hours I tried just about everything I could
like of from the  interactive aboot prompt, variables of symbolic links
to initrd.img, and  locations for the initrd.imv all to no avail.  Does
this make sense?  Has  any one else seen this?  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment offered,

Bill