apt-get build-dep vim fails with '....broken packages were found'

Hi all,

[apols that this is a post from a few days ago to Sydney Linux Users
Group.
But I havev still no luck in solving the problem, maybe some one here
can help
or know if its an alpha problem only. ]

I am using Debian stable on Alpha LX164.
I have downloaded vim sources via 'apt-get source vim' and wanted
to get all the dependencies to build it so I used 'apt-get build-dep
vim'
but I got this...

# apt-get build-dep vim
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Some broken packages were found while trying to process
build-dependencies.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.

I did this - see below.
The apt-howto manual also said that if I get broken packages that one
can run the
following two commands and try again. I did so but the apt-get build-dep
still
gives the same error.

# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.

# dpkg --configure -a
#

so all seems fine.

I presume that apt-get check will also let me know of any broken
packages so
i tried that to check. Seems OK. I didnt think I had any broken packages
anyways.

martel:/etc/apt# apt-get check
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

Whats the problem that stops me getting a build-dep for vim ?

Mike
Michael Lake
Active caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.