Alpha 255 vs S3Virge

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:50:28 -0400 (EDT),
"Christopher C. Chimelis" <chris@debian.org>  wrote:
: Subject: Re: S3Virge and XFree 4.1, was Re: latest pre-packaged kernel?
:
: Actually, I haven't tried my S3ViRGE on v4.1.0 too much.  In 8bpp, it
: worked great.  Prior versions of X seem to have problems with my
: particular S3V when I increase the colour depth (screen "overlaps" itself
: three times over...it looks like each plane is being offset to the right
: and drawn on top of the other).
:
I am the unlucky owner of an Alpha 255 which has never talked to me.
When I got it, it had an S3virge card in it.  I connected several different
monitors to this card, but when I booted the alpha (and I could hear it
booting and working for a while) I always got nothing on the screen.
(I had similar nonsuccess using an 8088 running Kermit connected to its
 serial port.)

Can you offer any tips for what I might type blind to get this card to
work right away, so I could try to talk to whichever of the boot programs
is trying to run ?  I would be very grateful.