Re: Potato/Xfree401/mutlihead problems

On Tuesday, 18 Jul, Thomas W. wrote:

> I run a dual-cpu UP2000 with Debian-potato. I compiled XFree86 4.0.1 in
> order to make use of a multihead/xinerama configuration. I intend to
> use a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI on PCI-Bus 0 and two Matrox G200 on Bus 1.
> I need to divide between Bus 0 and Bus 1, since the SRM firmware
> gets screwed if it finds multiple VGA-Bioses on Bus 0. It seems it
> doesn't try to x86-emulate Boards in Bus 1.

Can that be an explanation?  If a card is not initialised by its BIOS,
it may be in an undocumented state with which Xserver will not work
correctly.

> I used an ( OK ) XF86Config running perfectly on a x86 machine with the
> same cards in multihead+xinerama mode.

I guess the x86 machine runs all the VGA BIOSes, doesn't it?

There is an x86 emulator which is reported to initialise Matrox cards and
was apparently developed for use in multihead configurations.  Check out
ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/devel/x86emu/ .

Nikita