Re: Debian on DEC 3000

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Jerzy Kakol wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to install debian on DEC 3000 and after some RTFM-ing I realized
> that only this list is the source for installation instructions.
> My situation is a bit difficult. I have DEC 3000 station WITHOUT any
> input devices, the only connection to the outer world is network card.
< -- Stuff deleted -- >
> partitioned only. So, my question is: is it possible to install
> debian-alpha on this disk installed temporarily as a second hard disk in
> Alpha Station 300. I realize that such operation may be possible only
> doing everything by hand, but how? In addition, I have no possibility to

Well, although I don't have much knowledge in this respect, I can suggest
one thing that could possibly get you running fairly easily.
Unfortunately, it requires access to another Linux system of some sort
(preferably Debian).  Here it is...

You could always remove the hard drive from the Alpha, put it into another
Linux machine, and "build" it by hand.  In other words, untar the base
tgz onto the disk, manually unpack the deb's needed for basic networking,
set the whole thing up by hand, then move the disk back into the Alpha and
pray for peace.  I am pretty sure this will work, but I wouldn't know
where to begin to offer step-by-step instructions.

Hmmm...that's the only idea I can think of.  Without an existing OS, it's
really tough since the ethernet card isn't easily configured (especially
without a keyboard, etc).  If you can at least get it to boot and talk to
the net, then you could always rsh or even NFS-mount the drive and finish
from there.

Anyone else have a better idea?

Chris