Re: RFS: rocm-hipamd/5.2.3-11 -- Heterogeneous Interface for Portability

After a bit of digging, I found more information about the problem.

On 2023-07-22 01:08, Cordell Bloor wrote:
To me, this looks like hipGraphMemcpy1D had a broken implementation of host-to-host copies in ROCm 5.2.3. Unfortunately, this function was entirely reworked in ROCm 5.6.0 and the problem section no longer exists at all in the upstream project. If this is a real null pointer dereference bug, it will also affect Bookworm. :(

I think the code path with the nullptr dereference became dead code in ROCm 5.5.0 when the fix for host-to-host transfers was made [1]. I also dug up a test case for this feature to go with the patch [2].

Sincerely,
Cory Bloor

[1]: https://github.com/ROCm-Developer-Tools/hipamd/commit/b566e2bdb3a6d088d6155393afe31c4b5b617dc8
[2]: https://gist.github.com/cgmb/a5feea2fbd5cb7b7142fdc3f8cb0282f