Re: plan of deep learning team for next stable release?

Hi all,

> > I will not be able to use the pytorch compiled for Debian in my own
> > research work, and the use case for the cpu-only version is undoubtedly
> > limited.

Indeed.

> The simple fact of the matter is that Debian users who own an Nvidia
> card and need pytorch (or pure CUDA, as I have)
>   (1) will already have the Nvidia driver and CUDA installed anyway, and
>   (2) will then simply pip install or conda install pytorch, rather than
>       use the non-CUDA version from our archive.

Indeed, that is what is happening with all users I know around me.

> So if the Project rejects extending support for CUDA, not only would
> that have absolutely zero effect on CUDA use, it would actually also
> torpedo our own version of pytorch. That's hardly sensible.

Agreed. Our aim should not be to have "pytorch in the archive, yeah" but
nobody uses it from there.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev