Re: GFDL with invariant texts

Nicolas Boulenguez <nicolas.boulenguez@free.fr> writes:

>> > Here, read GFDL instead of GPL-1.
>> And what are the invariant sections and cover texts?
>> If there are none, non-free isn't necessary.
>
> Here is an extract from the *current* gnat-gps manual. It is explicit,
> and the documentation must move from main to non-free. I have not
> found any equivalent notice in the latest versions from Adacore.
>
> --  gnat-gps package: docs/gps.texi
> Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
> under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
> or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;
> with the Invariant Sections being ``GNU Free Documentation License'', with the
> Front-Cover Texts being
> ``Using the GNAT Programming Studio'',
> and with no Back-Cover Texts.
> A copy of the license is included in the section entitled
> ``GNU Free Documentation License''.

As Robert Dewar and Arno Charlet have both stated to me, the license
texts written in the source files are indicative and not binding.  Also,
the only statement that AdaCore has ever made about the license of the
libre site is that "everything in the subversion repository is licensed
under the terms of the GPL" [1].

[1] http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2009-June/003789.html

(read the rest of the thread too if you're interested, it is
instructive)

Consequences:

- the documentation is under GPL, not GFDL with or without invariant
  sections.

- the sources are under GPL, not GPL with linking exception or LGPL.

I have documented this confusing issue the README.Debian or
debian/copyright of most packages back in 2006 or so (in the case of
libgtkada2, this is now in README.source).

--
Ludovic Brenta.