Re: Accessible terminal output

Christian Schoepplein:
Hi Nils,

[...]

Piping output into a pager is very uncomfortable for screen reader users
IMHO. [...]

Ciao,

   Schoepp

Thanks for the hint, Schoepp.

This sounds like the screen reader optimized output mode should imply disabling the automatic pager feature.

For context, the default behavior of my tool is to pipe output to a pager if and only if 1) requested otherwise via an option such as the --no-pager option and 2) the output stream is a identified as a terminal. The latter means if you explicitly pipe to another program or file, the automatic pager feature is disabled as well.

Accordingly, the your `| vim -` trick would have worked. That said, I still want better defaults where I can reasonably provide them.

For the same reason, I have logic to rewrite man page references into links to https://manpages.debian.org/page.section, because my understanding was that manpages were rather difficult for users of screen readers as well.

Best regards,
Niels