What's the most Accessible Linux VM Server Platform?

Hi all,

I currently have a VMWare ESXI  host machine in my home lab. I’m considering alternative platforms and happy to experiment, but also don’t want to get part way down a rabbit hole and then realize I’m suddenly dealing with a bunch of hard to surmount accessibility issues.

I’m also unsure about performing OS installs . is it possible to get audio over a VNC connection or something?

The most popular solution seems to be Proxmox. However from what I can tell, There doesn’t seem to be an accessible Proxmox install option. I understand it can be installed over top of an existing Debian system but then you don’t get ZFS. Not sure how much that matters.

At any rate, if anyone has had eexperience in this area I would welcome any comments.

Thanks!

--Al