most bookworm multimedia does not work

I have scripts that use vlc and mpv to play streaming stations and neither
of those programs work and I'm not entirely sure about sox either.  Use of
deb.multimedia.org has not fixed the problems this time either.
Replacement of pulseaudio with pipe wire hasn't solved the problems
either.  Fortunately I got pipe-wire installed and running on this machine
a while ago so I will be running pipe-wire to see if I can listen to a
youtube video with it.  If that doesn't work I figure some rather major
breakage happened somewhere along the way.  I'm going to test
speechdispatcher before giving up on this entirely.  I had got mate
installed on this system earlier and run in console mode by running
systemctl disable lightdm then rebooting the system.  In order to enter
gui mode again systemctl enable lightdm and then rebooting usually has to
be done.

-- Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that
order." Ed Howdershelt 1940.